Daily Current Affairs – Nov 17, 2023
GS- I >> History >> Art & Culture
Context: Recently, Yogini Chamunda and Gomukhi idols were repatriated to India from the United Kingdom under the India Pride Project.
- They were stolen from 8th century temple in Lokhari (Uttar Pradesh).
- Yoginis are a group of powerful female’s divinities associated with the Tantrik mode of worship.
- They are worshipped as a group of 64 and are believed to possess infinite powers.
- 64 yoginis are associated with 64 kalas, Ratibandhas, Bhairava, Nayika and emotions of human-being.
- Famous Yogini temples includes Chausath Yogini temple (Odisha), Khajuraho temple complex (M.P) etc.
GS- I >> Geography >> Mapping
Context: Recently, Indian Navy has successfully conducted an Anti-Piracy patrol in the Gulf of Guinea in Atlantic Ocean.
About Gulf of Guinea:
- It lies in the eastern tropical Atlantic Ocean and off the western Coast of Africa.
- The Coastline comprises 17 countries starting from Senegal to Angola.
- Major rivers like Niger and Volta drain into the Gulf.
- Its coastline forms part of the western edge of the African tectonic plate.
- The region is also known for its natural resources like oil, natural gas, and minerals.
GS- II >> Social Justice>> Government Scheme
Context: Recently, PM will launch the PM-PVTG Development Mission to empower the tribals on the birth anniversary of Birsa Munda, which has been celebrated as Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas.
About PM-PVTG Development Mission:
- Rs 24,000-crore project focusing on PVTG development.
- Aims to bring critical infrastructure (power, water, road connectivity, housing, education, healthcare) to PVTG communities in remote villages.
- Involves coordinated efforts of nine ministries, implementing 11 interventions including PM-Gram Sadak Yojana, PM-Gram Awaas Yojana, Jal Jeevan Mission, and others.
- Ensures saturation for schemes like Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojna, Sickle Cell Disease Elimination, TB Elimination, 100% immunization, PM Surakshit Matritva Yojana, PM Matru Vandana Yojana, PM Poshan, and PM Jan Dhan Yojana.
About Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs):
- More vulnerable among tribal groups in India.
- Characterized by primitive traits, geographical isolation, low literacy, zero to negative population growth, and backwardness.
- Largely dependent on hunting for food and maintain a pre-agriculture level of technology.
- Originated as Primitive Tribal Groups (PTGs) in 1973 by the Dhebar Commission, with 52 groups identified in 1975 and 23 more added in 1993.
- Renamed as PVTGs in 2006.
- Presently, 2.8 million PVTGs in 75 tribes across 22,544 villages in 220 districts across 18 states and Union Territories in India.
- According to the 2011 Census, Odisha has the largest PVTG population at 866,000, followed by Madhya Pradesh at 609,000, and Andhra Pradesh (including Telangana) at 539,000.
- Odisha’s Saura community is the largest PVTG, numbering 535,000.
GS- III >> Science & Technology >> Space
Context: Recently, NASA announced that it will stop sending commands to its fleet of robotic probes on or orbiting the red planet (Mars) due to Mars solar conjunction.
About Mars Solar Conjunction:
- Phenomenon occurs when the Sun is between Earth and Mars.
- Occurs once every two years.
- Sun expels hot, ionized gas during this time.
- May corrupt radio signals from Earth to Mars.
- Could cause unexpected spacecraft behaviour on Mars.
- Occurring between November 11 and November 25 this year.
Key facts about Mars:
- Fourth planet in the solar system.
- Seventh in size and mass.
- Conspicuous reddish object in the night sky.
- Two moons: Phobos and Deimos.
- Very thin atmosphere.
- Rust colour due to iron-rich minerals in regolith.