Dr. Vikram Sarabhai and His Contributions
- Vikram Sarabhai, father of Indian Space Program, was born on 12th of Aug,1919 in Ahmedabad.
- He was a great institution builder and established or helped to establish a large number of institutions in diverse fields. He established Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in 1947. PRL was the cradle of space sciences in India. PRL had a modest beginning at his residence, the RETREAT, with research in cosmic rays. It was formally established at M.G. Science Institute, Ahmedabad, on 11th Nov 1947
- He played an important role in the establishment of a number of institutions including IIM Ahmedabad.
- The establishment of ISRO was one of his greatest achievements. He successfully convinced the government of the importance of space program after the Russian Sputnik launch.
- He was the first chair of Indian National Committee for Space Research (INCOSPAR) which was predecessor to ISRO (established in its current form in 1969).
- He also contributed in the setting up of Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station at Thiruvananthapuram, with its inaugural flight in 1963.
- He was also chairperson of Atomic Energy Commission.
- He received Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Medal in 1962
- Was awarded Padma Vibhushan (posthumously) in 1972. Earlier was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1966.
Other Key Positions held:
- President of the Physics Section, Indian Science Congress (1962)
- President of General Conference of the I.A.E.A, Vienna (1970)