Promoting Helicopter Services in India
- 4th Heli-India Summit 2022 with the theme ‘Helicopters for Last Mile Connectivity’ at Sher-e Kashmir International Conference Centre, Srinagar.
Multifarious Roles of Helicopters:
- Providing Urban Connectivity
- Emergency Medical care
- Disaster Management during floods
- Rescue operations
- Infrastructure development: For e.g. J&K has set an example of the best use of Heli services when it erected transmission lines and towers using heli-cranes (sky cranes) on the Peer Panjal mountain ranges.
Other initiatives launched in recent times to promote Helicopter sector:
- UDAN 5.1
- HeliSewa Portal – it is an online portal being used by all operators for obtaining landing permissions to helipads, and it also is creating a database of helipads in the country.
- HeliDisha: It is a document that has been prepared as guidance material to state government administration to effectively and safely support civil helicopter operations.
- Helicopter Accelerator Cell: It is fully active in resolving helicopter issues and the advisory group of industry representatives is helping identify problem areas.
Fractional Ownership Model:
- Released in Oct 2022
- It will lower the barrier on the cost of acquisition of helicopters and aeroplanes through pooled capital by multiple owners.
- This will allow companies and individuals to minimize their capital outflow by sharing the purchase cost, reducing their exposure to risks and making it financially easier to run a NSOP business (Non-scheduled Operator’s Permit Business)
- Fractional Ownership Model has the potential to energize the NSOP segment by demonstrating ownership of aircraft and it can be a driver to boost the number of aircraft existing in the NSOP industry.