Daily Current Affairs – Nov 6, 2023
GS- III >> Science & Technology >> Defence
Context: Recently, the first edition of Chanakya Defence Dialogue organised by the Indian Army in partnership with Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS).
About Chanakya Defence Dialogue:
- It is the first event of its kind being organised by the Indian Army.
- The first edition of this dialogue will be held on November 3rd and 4th, 2023, in New Delhi.
- It aims to comprehensively analyze security challenges in South Asia and the Indo-Pacific, crafting a roadmap for collaborative security measures.
GS- III >> Environment >> Flora & Fauna
Context: Recently, new species of epiphytic plant discovered in Arunachal Pradesh.
About Lysionotus namchoomii:
- Lysionotus namchoomii is a new species of epiphytic plant (which grows upon another plant) discovered by Scientists of Botanical Survey of India (BSI).
- Native range of the genus Lysionotus is the Himalayas, Japan and Indo-China.
- New Species bears thick leaves and attractive purple flowers.
- It is named in honour of late Chau Phunkyoo Nomchoon, a social reformer from Arunachal Pradesh’s Khapti community.
- BSI established in 1890, is the apex research organization under the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change.
- It carries out taxonomic studies on wild plant resources of country.
GS- I >> Geography >> Volcano
Context: The violent eruption of the Hunga Tonga volcano and its latest consequence being the depletion of the ozone hole.
About Hunga Tonga Volcano:
- Geographical location: Situated in the western South Pacific Ocean, to the west of the primary populated islands within the Kingdom of Tonga.
- Tofua arc: It is one of 12 confirmed submarine volcanoes located along the Tofua Arc, which is a section of the larger Tonga-Kermadec volcanic arc.
- Arc formation: The Tonga-Kermadec arc was created due to the subduction of the Pacific Plate beneath the Indo-Australian Plate.
- Island components: Comprising two small, unpopulated islands named Hunga-Ha’apai and Hunga-Tonga.
GS- III >> Environment >> Plastic
Context: Scientists in Japan have developed a new version of plastic called VPR which is based on an epoxy resin vitrimer.
- Vitrimers are recent category of plastics known for strength at low temperatures and reshaping under heat.
- However, they tend to be very brittle.
- To overcome this, researchers added polyrotaxane to the plastic-making process which resulted in VPR.
- Stronger and stretcher than the traditional version.
- Partially biodegradable.
- It can remember complex shapes which can be restored once it is heated.
GS- III >> Internal Security >> Security Forces
Context: Recently, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)’s CoBRA elite force withdraw from Jammu & Kashmir amid deployment controversary.
- Established in 2008, CoBRA is a specialized unit of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- CoBRA is one of the few CRPF units with specific training in guerilla tactics and jungle warfare.
- They are often referred to as ‘jungle warriors.’
- Initially created to combat the Naxalite problem, CoBRA was trained for tracking, hunting, and eliminating Naxalite groups.
- Personnel for CoBRA are selected from the CRPF, and it is an integral part of the CRPF.
- CoBRA comprises 10 units, established between 2008 and 2011.
- Most CoBRA teams are deployed in states affected by Maoist violence, while some are stationed in northeastern states for counter-insurgency operations.